March 28, 2024, 10:07:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Drying organic selves  (Read 1163 times)

Offline CrazyGoat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Drying organic selves
« on: April 19, 2020, 01:16:47 AM »
I have been watching this vid in YouTube about drying organic selves:
https://youtu.be/CmKGt92oMYU
But makes me have several questions;
First is the fact that using the same pipe for vacuum and nitrogen, there is not a nitrogen escape like an oil bubbler (not one you can see at least)
How is it possible to inject nitrogen with out an escape and don't have problems with the pressure?
Second is, may I do this (dry crystal and selves) with a hand pump?
Third is:If I use a small vacuum pump like this (in the photo) with out a cold trap...
will I broken it. (note it only will absorb co2 and some water condensation)
(Is it possible to use this pump in first instance?)
Forth : I don't have only to dry selves and a glask but also a reflux column attached to the flask and some joints, so may be the lab flame is a little inconvenient for that vertical drying.
May I use a heat gun instead?
Sorry for some many questions and having to open a vid in YouTube for understand my question.
But this is important for me so thank you very much for your help.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Re: Drying organic selves
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
A simpler way to dry molecular sieves, is putting in an open container and leaving at 110oC in the lab drying oven for several hours. Then, a slight flow of nitrogen is purged for a few seconds, before closing the container cup. After each use, a slight flow of nitrogen is purged again and the container is cupped.
(Attention that there are no heat sensible samples or solvents in the in the drying oven at that temperature).

Sponsored Links