April 25, 2024, 12:23:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How does Magic Shell ice cream topping work?  (Read 717 times)

Offline ManyQuestions

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How does Magic Shell ice cream topping work?
« on: April 25, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »
I was assigned "Stuff Matters" by Mark Miodownik for one of my classes and he has a chapter on chocolate and its chemical properties. He goes on about cocao butter, and says this:

"The major component of cocoa butter is a large molecule called a triglyceride, which forms crystals in many different ways, depending on how these triglycerides are stacked together. It’s a bit like packing the trunk of a car: there are many ways to do it, but some take up more space than others. The more tightly packed the triglycerides, the more compact the crystals of cocoa fat. And the denser the cocoa fat, the higher its melting point and the more stable and stronger it is. These denser forms of cocoa are also the hardest to make. Types I and II crystals, as they are called, are mechanically soft and quite unstable. They will, if given any chance at all, transform into the denser Types III and IV. Nevertheless they are useful for making chocolate coatings on ice creams, because their low melting point of 16°C allows them to melt in the mouth even when cooled by the ice cream."

Is this how Magic Shell works, or does it just simply use cocoa butter's melting point properties?

Sponsored Links