March 28, 2024, 09:05:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: preparation of vanadium (V) solution from ammonium metavanadate  (Read 1372 times)

Offline 13XeNON1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi, I'm currently answering questions for a lab report but I'm stuck on a question: "What is the concentration of the V(V) stock solution?". I'm stuck because I have no idea what the chemical equation is for the preparation of the solution, which I need (I think) to calculate the concentration. The only hint I've been given is that I should know the formula for ammonium metavanadate (NH4VO3) to calculate the concentration but I don't know where to go from there. I feel like this is a relatively simple question but I've been stuck on it for a while and it's really getting me down.

The preparation of the solution is as follows:
2g of ammonium metavanadate was dissolved in 50mL of 1M sodium hydroxide solution. Once dissolved, 80mL of 2M sulfuric acid was added. It was then transferred to a volumetric flask and was made up to 250mL with distilled water.

I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction :)

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: preparation of vanadium (V) solution from ammonium metavanadate
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 08:34:04 AM »
You artificially make problems where they are not.
Do the reactions change the degree of vanadium oxidation and its amount? if not, just dilute the solution and give the result in your undefined concentration.
Another problem remains, although your problem doesn't require it, what vanadium compound is in the solution?
In this case, you need to write several reactions with knowledge of vanadium (V) chemistry at different pH.
AWK

Sponsored Links