April 25, 2024, 05:17:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Difference in Analytical Methods  (Read 1448 times)

Offline NoUsernamesIActuallyLike

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Difference in Analytical Methods
« on: May 01, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
Hey everyone!
I'm currently taking Gen Chem I and we're doing analysis in lieu of physical labs this quarter because of the restrictions.

My question is that when dealing with imprecise data sets, is it typical to see a difference between statistical and graphical analysis?

I'm attempting to derive an experimental molecular formula for Copper (II) Sulfate, hydrate. From the imprecise data set, the statistical analysis yielded a ratio of 12 water molecules to 1 copper (II) sulfate molecule while the graphical analysis yielded a ratio of 2 water molecules to 1 copper (II) sulfate molecule.

Thanks in advance and stay safe!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Difference in Analytical Methods
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 03:57:12 PM »
It is difficult to say anything without data, but such large differences indicate rather large errors in calculations.
Show your work.
AWK

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 05:02:13 PM »
So, this was all done in excel because I have 63 data points. In the images, I tried to capture the numbers and letters so you can see what's being done to what. For the large columns, it's the same equation dragged down.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 05:03:42 PM »
Here's more context.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 02:54:34 AM »
Fantastically nonsense results. Even the copper sulfate crystal removed from the solution and dried on filter paper for a few seconds will not contain more water than about 7:1 (molar ratio water to salt). Properly air-dried at least about 4.5:1.
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 04:13:42 AM »
My question is that when dealing with imprecise data sets, is it typical to see a difference between statistical and graphical analysis?

No. While there is nothing strange in getting different results, unless one of the methods is completely off (for whatever reasons - wrong assumptions, error in calculations) results should be in the same ballpark.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
No. While there is nothing strange in getting different results, unless one of the methods is completely off (for whatever reasons - wrong assumptions, error in calculations) results should be in the same ballpark.

It is difficult to say anything without data, but such large differences indicate rather large errors in calculations.

Thank you! I think for some reason, excel was excluding 1 data point, but I don't think that's enough to cause such a disparity. We were given 3 samples for each group, so I'm going to take the average of each sample and hopefully that makes more sense.

Fantastically nonsense results.

There is something wrong with the data, I believe my professor wants me to perform an error analysis as well.

Sponsored Links