April 18, 2024, 02:21:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to visually test at home when a vegetable oil will oxidize? (besides rancid)  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Natsoft

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I know that vegetable oils are clearly oxidized when the smell becomes rancid, but what are other signs that oils are oxidized?

Since vegetable oils are also widely used on (DIY) hair care and not washed off for multiple days, I was wondering how likely oils will form oxidation reactions with the hair fiber in like 3 - 7 days, especially when the hair is exposed to UV light.
Therefore I was wondering, is it possible to test at home to estimate after how many days a vegetable oil will (photo)oxidize on a fiber surface?

The experimental plan I had in mind is to apply a bit of oil on a white cotton cloth (or wool) and let it expose to the sun (UV rays) for a few days. If the oil stain is no longer possible to remove, then some oxidation reaction might have occurred with the fiber.

Does this plan sound fair, or do you have better suggestions for simple visual oil oxidation tests?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
You may want to do it with controls.
Maybe
1 in the sun with oil
1 in the sun with no oil
1 inside out of the sun with no oil
1 inside  out of the sun with oil

That is just my quick thoughts

Offline shchavel

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Intresting expiriment. Controls is a good idea. Also your can use different brands/types of oils.
Report results here, please)

Offline Natsoft

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thanks for the tips! Is the observation of unwashable stains a good indicator of oxidation indeed?

Sponsored Links