April 26, 2024, 02:01:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nuclear Chemistry Vocabulary: Nuclear Interaction Barrier  (Read 7766 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Nuclear Chemistry Vocabulary: Nuclear Interaction Barrier
« on: November 03, 2006, 02:31:13 AM »
I can't always be gentle with the reader and clearly define and explain in simple English why we are interested in what nuclear chemists find interesting. That being said, I'll jump into this next topic.

I've come across the term, Interaction Barrier, several times now and I've finally figured out what it means. At first I thought the interaction barrier was a nicer way to say the coulomb barrier. I thought it was a term that the learned nuclear scientist used to describe the point where the attractive nuclear force and the coulomb potential would equal each other. Unfortunately I was wrong, I was misled to this conclusion by several recent (recent being defined as anytime from today to 5 years ago) pieces of literature that I have read, but I'll be nice and not point them out here.

The formal definition of the interaction barrier is (as defined by Mitch rewording Reiner Bass):
The interaction barrier is the threshold bombarding energy in the center-of-mass system which is needed classically for two fragments to undergo a nuclear reaction. Noting that a nuclear reaction is defined liberally and involves any inelastic process.

The informal definition that you can use to make yourself sound smart (which others do retardedly often ::)):
The interaction barrier, unlike the coulomb barrier which assumes 2 charged-spheres in a static and rigid touching configuration, describes the minimum distance Rint two fragments need to be to undergo a dynamic inelastic non-negligible mass-energy exchange. Where Rint approximately equals R1 + R2 + 3fm, where R1 and R2 are the classical nuclear radii one would calculate for a projectile and target nucleus. 

A figure plotting the coulomb potential (solid-line) and the actual nuclear+coulumb potential (dash-line) is shown below. The figure is for 20Ar + 208Pb.

As can be seen in the figure, the interation barrier (Bint) shows the boundary where the interesting physics begins. While the calculated coulomb barrier shows some useless point far above and behind the actual fusion barrier. No wonder "sub-coulomb barrier" reactions seem to occur so readily in our field! They may be sub-coulomb, but the only important barrier is the fusion barrier! This might stand out to others, but took me sometime to realize the importance.

If you are interested in more physics of nuclear reactions with heavy ions. See this book. . I've been secretly borrowing it from Walt for 2-weeks now, shhhh.. If you want the book too, please purchase through this link: Nuclear Reactions With Heavy Ions, it'll give me a few quarters.  ;)

Mitch Rating for Interaction Barrier:
Complicated Soundingness: 3/10
Usefulness: 6.5/10

Next Week's Term: Sommerfeld Parameter

Mitch
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:33:47 AM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Nuclear Chemistry Vocabulary Word #1: Interaction Barrier
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 02:56:56 PM »
This is a good idea. I'll be looking for to next weeks word, meaning I won't go look it up. I'll wait for you to post it.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Nuclear Chemistry Vocabulary: Nuclear Interaction Barrier
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:45:18 AM »
It sounds like activation energy for nuclear reaction
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »
I like the idea. Somehow, it reminds me of a blog where every Saturday you have a pharmaceutical synthesis described... ::)

;)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 09:28:18 PM »
I wonder what blog that would be? :P
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links