April 26, 2024, 02:23:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Keq for a biological reaction  (Read 3709 times)

bronzedglow

Keq for a biological reaction
« on: September 17, 2006, 12:46:20 AM »
Hello,

I am a biology major and I am currently taking an MBB class and I'm a little stumped by one of my problem set questions. The question reads:

Consider the binding reaction L + R --> LR
where L is a ligand, and R is a receptor

when 1*10^-2M L is added to a solution containing 5*10^-2M R, 90% of the L binds to form LR

What is the Keq of the reaction?

Now it's been a while since my last chemistry class, but I seem to remember Keq reactions being solved using an ICE table, but I also remember that neither solids nor liquids factor into the equation. Now a ligand is a soluble molecule(usually a hormone) and the receptor is essentially a protein which is a solid and to be frank - I have no idea where to start so any input would be really appreciated.

All I have is:

Keq = [LR] / [L][R]

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Keq for a biological reaction
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 03:26:56 AM »
All I have is:

Keq = [LR] / [L][R]

And that's all you need, simply plug numbers into.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
Re: Keq for a biological reaction
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 03:41:04 AM »
strange question, since with a ligand binding to an enzyme or receptor reacting like described above, usually you speak of the dissociation constant Kd: [L][R] / [LR]. This can be rewritten in terms of the fractional receptor occupance r:

Use Kd = [L][R]/[RL] and [R]total = [R]free + [RL] and plug this into the rewritten expression of Kd: Kd/[L]= [R]free / [R]free.

This will yield [LR] / [R]total = r = [L] / (Kd + [L]). This a very useful equation to study receptor antagonists.

Here you can calculate [RL], [L] and [R] at equilibrium since concentrations of L and R are known.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 03:52:53 AM by sdekivit »

Sponsored Links