April 26, 2024, 05:03:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gasoline and Styrofoam Super-Glue  (Read 812 times)

Offline Thierry1410

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Gasoline and Styrofoam Super-Glue
« on: May 07, 2020, 06:40:31 PM »
I'm a student in a Chemistry Technician Course, integrated to high school (also, sorry for bad English, not native here), and for my Professional Integrated Pratical work (something like the Term Paper), my objective is developing a brick made of malt bagasse, and, to give this material some strengh, I will use a homemade Super-Glue based on Styrofoam and Gasoline, but i can't find anywhere what is the ideal proportion between this two igredients to made this little experiment of mine. Does someone can help me?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Gasoline and Styrofoam Super-Glue
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 03:15:06 AM »
Isn't it something you should determine experimentally by yourself?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Gasoline and Styrofoam Super-Glue
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 07:58:42 PM »
It doesn't have to be a foam of polystyrene. You can take massive polystyrene too, and optionally make chips of it with a file, a milling machine, whatever.

Be careful with polystyrene foam: some formulations contain a foaming gas that isn't healthy, and this gas gets released when you dissolve the foam.

Even if the gas isn't toxic, it's often bad for the ozone layer (if you believe there's a relationship) and the greenhouse effect.

Sponsored Links