April 19, 2024, 12:23:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis Problems  (Read 2265 times)

Offline kaanttlc

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesis Problems
« on: May 15, 2020, 12:51:11 PM »
Question is : Show the synthesis down below.  (question is in the attach)

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Synthesis Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 01:02:32 PM »
Can you show us your thoghts?

Offline kaanttlc

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 01:10:10 PM »
i can not solve it maybe you can help, i really did not understand this subject :(

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 01:23:52 PM »
According to the forum rules (see red link above), you must show us your attempt or provide your thoughts before we can help you.  However, I have a small suggestion.  It is sometimes helpful to work backwards (from product to reactants).

Offline Synthol

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 06:05:07 PM »
I Can just give u some hints,
A) NBS bromination results in allylic brominated product
B)  Grignard likes to reduce aldehydes and ketones—-> PCC dont like alcohols it oxidise them to smth which is not the same product as terminal CrO3 oxidation ;)

C) friedel crafts reagent Can be made out of alkenes —> there’s some hydroxylating cmpd which loves to break markovnikow rule
D) 1* carbocation prefers to be more stable so fredel crafts alKILation is not the way to go however ACY.. —-> remember to brominate compound in good timing so its metha substituted

Hope i helped
Too much spare corona time Haha

Offline kaanttlc

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 06:05:34 AM »
thank you so much for helping, need to study more on that i guess..
B)  Grignard likes to reduce aldehydes and ketones—-> PCC dont like alcohols it oxidise them to smth which is not the same product as terminal CrO3 oxidation ;)

C) friedel crafts reagent Can be made out of alkenes —> there’s some hydroxylating cmpd which loves to break markovnikow rule
D) 1* carbocation prefers to be more stable so fredel crafts alKILation is not the way to go however ACY.. —-> remember to brominate compound in good timing so its metha substituted

Hope i helped

Offline kaanttlc

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »
i guess i did it right  ???
thank you so much for helping, need to study more on that i guess..

Hope i helped

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 09:14:52 AM »
There are two things wrong with your last answer.  One is that an alkyl group will not direct the next substituent to a meta-position.

Offline kaanttlc

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
There are two things wrong with your last answer.  One is that an alkyl group will not direct the next substituent to a meta-position.
can you show me how it's done please?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »
Alkyl groups are o,p-directing, can you use Friedel-Craft acylation in some way?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:23:18 PM by rolnor »

Offline Synthol

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 01:50:14 PM »
Ortho and para directing is not the only mistake in that rxn. Friedel crafts alkilation relies on carbocation mechanism and as you should know carbocation tends to rearrange to their more stabile form ESPECIALLY if it is able to change its substitution degree so much from 1* to tertiary which is whole faar more stable.. and so result in tert- butyl product and just a tiny bit of desired product.
Acylation however usually doesnt undergo rearrangements and so we can use it for shown synthesis.Acylation of course results in acyl and so we need to trim off double bonded oxygen which Can be done in few ways - by far easiest and also cheapest one step transformation is using hydrazine H2NNH2

Offline Synthol

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 02:32:25 PM »
To understand directing nature of any ring substituent u need to be able to draw resonance structure of molecule remembering about fact that some substituents donate electrons to benzene ring but some take em out.

Any ring activating substituent results in O,P product ( alkil group including it was your mistake )

Most of ring deectivating groups results in metha sibstituted product, but halogens are exception- they are deactivators  becouse their strong induction force pulls electrons out of the ring, but they still show  weak electrodonating resonance effect which results in higher electron density at ortho and para positions and so electrofiles are attracted to those positions
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:46:26 PM by Synthol »

Offline Synthol

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »
X

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 03:58:22 PM »
Synthol; we are trying to help without telling to much of the solution, OK?

Offline Synthol

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »
Synthol; we are trying to help without telling to much of the solution, OK?

Sure i’ll slow down, tho i kind of tried to show the  the raw book knowledge, didn’t really give him ready route, I rather tried to elaborate why does route that he mentioned won’t really work

Sponsored Links