April 25, 2024, 07:30:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sodium cyanoborohydride reductive amination troubleshooting?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline CarsonGrey

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
When using sodium cyanoborohydride for reductive amination, does water in the the methanol substrate affect formation of the imine?

I’m performing the reaction at a ph of ~6 for 48hrs in MeOH and workup is consistently recovering starting material with no reaction taking place.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Sodium cyanoborohydride reductive amination troubleshooting?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 05:57:39 AM »
Can you give the structure of the reactants?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 01:22:12 PM »
Can you explain how the pH is controlled and measured?

Offline CarsonGrey

• Very New Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 11:20:14 PM »
When using sodium cyanoborohydride for reductive amination, does water in the the methanol substrate affect formation of the imine?Speed Test  Solitaire  essay writer

I’m performing the reaction at a ph of ~6 for 48hrs in MeOH and workup is consistently recovering starting material with no reaction taking place.
thankyou my issue has been solved

Offline Synthol

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 06:53:48 AM »
When using sodium cyanoborohydride for reductive amination, does water in the the methanol substrate affect formation of the imine?

No reaction taking place at all ? Cyanoborohydride unlike sodium borohydride tolerates apreciable quantities of water and so reaction should happen at least to some extent.
How you analised the final product? TLC is bare minimum, some spectra should Have been done to say surely that no reaction took place.

May we know what was the solution to your problem even tho u might be doing some mad chemistry.. im still curious what factors disabled cyanoborohydride. Was that really water which affected rxn speed so much?

Sponsored Links