April 19, 2024, 02:55:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Do I need a powerful computer to study MChem in the UK?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline ch_em_b34

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Do I need a powerful computer to study MChem in the UK?
« on: May 28, 2020, 03:10:50 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'll be going to uni in the UK soon and I was wondering if there are any specific softwares my computer must be able to run when studying MChem at university. What is the recommended configuration windows or apple? How often would I need to bring my laptop to university?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Do I need a powerful computer to study MChem in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »
Can you clarify what MChem is?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
While waiting for that definition, I can add that chemistry in general is mostly a Windows world. Almost every analytical instrument runs on Windows, most professionals use Windows. For your own use, then, I would recommend a PC because it will make transferring data and files more straightforward. Compatibility issues between Mac and PC are much less than they were when I was in school (my PhD advisor used a Mac and everyone in the lab used a PC; it was a nightmare to send him documents), but nevertheless, why bother with the headache? Certainly if you want to use instrument software on your own computer for working on data off-line, you'll probably need a PC.

As for what software, that will depend a lot on what MChem is, but Microsoft office is probably a must. ChemDraw is also very useful. If you are going on in the sciences, you may consider OriginPro, which is indispensable for data analysis and plotting. Also, you may want to consider getting photoshop and illustrator. Learning how to use those programs (especially Illustrator) was one of the best investments of time I ever made. Being able to make attractive figures and diagrams is a useful skill for presentations, posters, and manuscripts. I also use Mathematica frequently, although it may not be necessary for you. Note that there are open source versions of most of these programs if you don't have the money for the official versions, and a lot of them have very heavy student discounts.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline ch_em_b34

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 06:08:40 PM »

Its just a degree in chemistry

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 05:39:25 AM »

Its just a degree in chemistry

No it is not. 

Typically in the UK a 3 year degree got you a BSc. which is a bachelors degree in chemistry.  After which you could go on to do an MSc taught course or PhD research.  Now there is the option to do a 4 year degree to get an MSc. which is a masters degree in chemistry.

At some universities the masters is just a bolt on separate stand alone extra year after the BSc but I think some other places structure the 4 year MSc differently from the start.  The first option gives you a BSc and then if you want to do the extra year an MSc whilst the 2nd one you get the MSc or nothing.

Sponsored Links