March 29, 2024, 02:50:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which is the job of chloride in an electrodeposition of copper?  (Read 694 times)

Offline IJMTAFAQ

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello everyone, I have a doubt about the role of chlorides during a deposition process. I can see which is the role of the solid copper, the copper sulphate, the sulphuric acid, the ammonia, the chemical indicators used, etc... but I went to speak with a professor about an assignment and for some reason I saw said professor adding chlorides to this electrodeposition process, why did he do this? (I would ask him myself right now but due to the current situation he has not been available).

Also, this is another question out of curiosity, why do the copper anodes themselves change color during the deposition? I get that the deposit has another color why does the anode itself changes?

In fact, now that I think of it, said professor turned on an engine that seemed to filtrate and recirculate the liquid. Does it make sense to do this? Or was that machine probably for something else?

Thank you for reading!

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Which is the job of chloride in an electrodeposition of copper?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »
A acidic copper electrolyte based on sulfuric acid contains copper as copper sulfate, sulfuric acid, chloride, organic additives like brighter , levellers and inhibitors.
The anodes normally are  copper bars, pellets or balls as an alloy with phosphorous.
Copper is the metal to deposit. Sulfuric acid used for lowering conductivity. Chloride to get a nice smooth fine grain copperlayer, brightner for throughing power and brightens, leveller for leveling rough surfaces and obtaining ductility. The phosphorous gives a brown deposit on the anodes. The residues falling in the bath will be filtered.

Sponsored Links