March 29, 2024, 06:47:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can an electronic water descaler work?  (Read 2292 times)

BigKetchup

Can an electronic water descaler work?
« on: May 30, 2020, 11:46:19 PM »
Just bought and installed this, but I've read mixed things about it.  Can it work as advertised?  I'm a layman, so if you could explain why or why not, I'd appreciate it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KXRB5LT/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_7GY0Eb4V7PDS3

Thanks!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Can an electronic water descaler work?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 03:31:24 AM »
Explanation sounds like a mumbo-jumbo. My first instinct is that it is a snake oil.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

BigKetchup

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:21:20 PM »
Explanation sounds like a mumbo-jumbo. My first instinct is that it is a snake oil.

That's what I was worried about :(

I'm wondering, then, why people are.goving it raver eviews. Or swear there's a noticeable difference in their water quality.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 07:14:56 AM »

That's what I was worried about :(

I'm wondering, then, why people are.goving it raver eviews. Or swear there's a noticeable difference in their water quality.

Shills?

BigKetchup

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 03:54:18 PM »

That makes sense.  It could very well be a placebo.  But I was hoping for some explanation of why it can or cannot work, like what it aims to do and why it can't achieve it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 07:28:41 PM »
They refer to "natural frequency of the calcium carbonate" - no such thing. There are plenty of frequencies related to vibration of bonds in CO32- and to modes of vibration of the whole anion, there are definitely frequencies of vibration related to the solid CaCO3, but there is no single frequency at which calcium carbonate can resonate, this is just made up, some buzz words thrown in and combined together.

I remember reading a published, peer reviewed paper stating that magnetic field (just a static one, no frequencies involved) can promote early precipitation of the scale in the water, so that it becomes sandy and gets easily flushed out from the pipes (instead of building a solid on the surfaces). But if memory serves me well that was just a single publication, not sure if anyone reproduced the effect.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline pcm81

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »
Looking at the description of this product, it looks like they forgot to mention that it also cures cancer...

The theory is that the magnetic field from this thing will cause electrolysis of CaCO3 into Ca+ and CO3- which won't deposit in the tank. In reality i'd be curious to see the calculation of the energy fraction going into electrolysis of water rather than CaCO3 anf fraction on CaCO3 passing through the pipe that actually electrlizes (probably very small) . The frequency thing is utter BS.

Sponsored Links