March 29, 2024, 03:33:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Soaking food (grains and nuts) with hydrogen peroxide  (Read 1700 times)

Offline kate.g

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Soaking food (grains and nuts) with hydrogen peroxide
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »
Hello.

I am doing research on using hydrogen peroxide to neutralize mold/mycotoxins by soaking food (grains and nuts) in water+hydrogen peroxide.
There is a lot of research on the effectiveness of using H2O2 for mycotoxin detoxification - however, there is no research on whether doing so oxidizes compounds in food and creates toxic/dangerous compounds (i.e. oxidized fats, changes in some nutrients like iron, etc.)

Thank you for all comments.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Soaking food (grains and nuts) with hydrogen peroxide
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »
Was there a question?

BTW, I advise not using your email address as a user name, unless you fancy getting lots of spam.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline kate.g

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 01:25:33 PM »
The question is: does soaking grains and nuts in the hydrogen peroxide solution negatively impact the compounds in those foods? I.e. oxidizes fats or certain nutrients (like iron, etc.).

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »
I can speculate: since hydrogen peroxide is an oxidant, and many lipids in grains are prone to oxidation/rancidity due to unsaturated sites, it seems reasonable to conclude that lipid oxidation will occur when soaking grains in hydrogen peroxide solutions. (There are other components that are probably prone to oxidation as well, including dyes/chromophores, antioxidants, and so-on.) Whether that constitutes a "negative impact" depends on what your definition of a negative impact is, and what your property of interest is.

If you want a more informed answer, I suggest searching the primary literature. Which you probably will want to do anyway, if you are doing research in this area.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links