March 28, 2024, 08:31:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Heating Curve Graph  (Read 910 times)

Offline Anwoo127

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Heating Curve Graph
« on: June 02, 2020, 03:56:32 PM »
This is due today and I'm going to learn it myself but I dont have the time to today. Please help.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Heating Curve Graph
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 05:29:52 PM »
Where have you got stuck? Consider typing the questions and data out - the image isn't the best quality.

Offline MNIO

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 08:27:40 PM »
So I just took a look at this problem and it literally took me 3 minutes to enter the data in excel, calculate total heat (min * 4000) and plot time vs total heat.  3 min.  And then I read through the rest of the problems and instantly formulated answers.  The entire project, including writing and revising and perfect the written answers a few iterations would take me < 10 min.   As it should take YOU to figure out and solve.

This is a simple problem with simple basic concepts that you need to know.  Is there a reason that you can't spend 10-15 minutes and figure it out yourself so that you can earn your own sheepskin? 

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 10:31:14 PM »
MNIO,

Although this particular poster does seem to be looking for a free lunch, there's no need to ridicule people who don't know how to solve a problem in the same amount of time it takes you to solve it. Please try to consider that a simple problem for you is not necessarily simple for someone else.

If someone posts a problem like this without showing any work, it's best to just direct them to the forum rules and/or give them a hint of how to start. We do get people here who just post problems without showing work, and then can be coaxed into solving the problem themselves with a little patient guidance. (The rest will never reply since they didn't get the spoon feeding they were after, so the ridicule falls on deaf ears anyway.)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline MNIO

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 06:58:34 AM »
Corribus... you completely misread the discussion and my intentions.

Anwoo127 wrote.. (I'll paraphrase)
  I have an assignment due today.  I'm going to learn this material sometime.. but...
  I'm too busy today.  please do my assignment for me.

To which I responded, (paraphrasing).. this is a simple assignment.  spend the 15 minutes and work it out yourself.

To which you responded, that I was being rude. 

I don't think I rude was at all.  Yes I was "stern" but that was absolutely needed.  Anwoo127 isn't asking for help understanding the material, he's literally asking someone else to do the work so he can take credit for it.  That's not the same thing as someone posting a question "can you help me understand this problem" and one of us responders giving a hint and waiting for the asker to show effort. 

Students get stuck all the time and Heaven knows, I've donated zillions of hours of my time to countless herds of them over my career. I sure hope some of that made a difference in some cases.  But in this case, Anwoo127 wasn't stuck.  He simply didn't want to do the work.  I wrote what I wrote hoping to light a fire under him, to convince him it was easy, and to challenge him to do it himself.

Sponsored Links