April 30, 2024, 03:28:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ethanol from Glucose syrup?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline laclogan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ethanol from Glucose syrup?
« on: June 07, 2020, 03:48:38 AM »
Hey guys, due to stupid moonshine makers in my country the ethanol prices became crazy expensive these days so I was wondering if I could produce some ethanol from pure Glucose syrup. I've read some stuff about fermentation of it with yeast yields 1 mole of ethanol and 1 mole of carbon dioxide but I've wanted to ask you guys first.  Thank you.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Ethanol from Glucose syrup?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 04:48:24 AM »
Want to join the moonshine makers group? For most chemical experiments, much cheaper denatured alcohol is sufficient.
AWK

Offline laclogan

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 06:25:05 AM »
Want to join the moonshine makers group? For most chemical experiments, much cheaper denatured alcohol is sufficient.

No pal you got me wrong I hate alcohol I only drink wines and martinis so the Ethanol I wanna produce is for my chemical experiments. The thing is I live in Europe and my country forces ethanol manufacturers to put denatonium benzoate in Ethanol as a law and that denatonium usually interferes with my reactions so that's why I don't wanna buy it anymore. I mean yeah it's expensive but my main problem is the denatonium inside.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 06:32:30 AM »
Denatonium is probably sorbed by active charcoal. Moreover, it even can be a catalyst for reactions sometimes.
AWK

Offline laclogan

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 06:36:28 AM »
Denatonium is probably sorbed by active charcoal. Moreover, it even can be a catalyst for reactions sometimes.

Yes I've heard that active carbon filtration thing and it should work too but still my main goal here is to produce my own with low cost and free from byproducts.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 07:06:36 AM »
Obtaining concentrated ethanol in the conditions of a home laboratory as a result of fermentation and further processing is not so simple as it results from Pasteur's reaction on paper. It's better to forget about it.
AWK

Offline laclogan

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
Obtaining concentrated ethanol in the conditions of a home laboratory as a result of fermentation and further processing is not so simple as it results from Pasteur's reaction on paper. It's better to forget about it.

Okay then I think I will stick with distilling that expensive ethanol and leaving that denatonium behind in the reaction flask.  Thank you for your help AWK.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 11:33:17 AM »
As a teenager I made ethanol from ethyl acetate and sodium hydroxide. I sold to my klassmates in school also so I made enough money to pay for my own drinking needs and to pay for for example rock concerts, it was good bussines. Dissolve the hydroxide in water and add a little ethylacetate and shake vigorously, beware of the exothermic reaction. When the reaction has started larger amounts of ethyl acetate can be added. Then distill. This will give you good ethanol but not anhydrous offcourse.

Offline laclogan

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »
As a teenager I made ethanol from ethyl acetate and sodium hydroxide. I sold to my klassmates in school also so I made enough money to pay for my own drinking needs and to pay for for example rock concerts, it was good bussines. Dissolve the hydroxide in water and add a little ethylacetate and shake vigorously, beware of the exothermic reaction. When the reaction has started larger amounts of ethyl acetate can be added. Then distill. This will give you good ethanol but not anhydrous offcourse.

Damn this sounds pretty cool and I didn't know about this reaction. Do you have any literature reference regarding this synth?

Offline rafahz

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 03:41:21 PM »
Last year I made ethanol from orange juice, the result was not very good but it was a great experience, if you have good laboratory instruments, you may have a good concentration.

Sponsored Links