March 28, 2024, 06:35:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pyridoxal kinase B6 metabolization in neurological disease case  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Maxvj

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi all - this is not my field so bear with me.

I have a neurological condition called Charcot Marie Tooth disorder (somewhat similar to MS or other degenerative demyelination disorders) and have been doing a lot of research on nutritional factors that might contribute to neuromuscular degeneration. I recently found this along with a slew of other studies linking problems with pyridoxal kinase (PK or PDXK?) metabolization of B6 to similar conditions. This caught my interest because B vitamin treatments I've tried in the past have never yielded desired results and I've never gotten a clear picture why until now.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0054113

I can't find resources on how to adjust or supplement PK production in the gut, which has brought me here. If I understand this research correctly, my question is how might one go about enhancing this specific enzymatic process, either through supplementation or diet. I have looked into and tried various diets that emphasize enzyme intake, but can't find anything that is based on an understanding of this specific enzyme and how to boost it.

I hope this makes sense and appreciate any input. Again, not my field, so I apologize if this question doesn't make sense or isn't the right fit for this forum. Just putting out feelers. Many thanks!

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Pyridoxal kinase B6 metabolization in neurological disease case
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »
We do not give medical advice on the forum
This is a forum policy.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

But maybe someone can give you information without violating rules. 

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Pyridoxal kinase B6 metabolization in neurological disease case
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 07:11:19 PM »
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/gut-reaction-a-limited-role-for-digestive-enzyme-supplements

I am a biochemist, but the particular issue of ingesting enzymes is not a specialty of mine.  However, I found this to be of interest.  With respect to taking in digestive enzymes:  "'Some of them are clearly beneficial, in certain situations. But enzyme supplements also are often used in situations where there is little evidence that they do any good,' says Dr. Kyle Staller, a gastroenterologist at Harvard-affiliated Massachusetts General Hospital.

But many enzymes will probably denature in the low pH environment of the stomach (prescription digestive enzymes sometimes have a coating).  Most proteins will be partially proteolyzed by various proteases, including trypsin and chymotrypsin, rendering them inactive.

Sponsored Links