Hey everybody I'm having a little bit of trouble with this seemingly simple question.
I have to discuss different processes and decide wether the entropy decreases or increases:
• physiological synthesis of myoglobin from approximately 150 amino acids
- here I am really clueless I would have said it increases but I can't really state why... It just seems like through the synthesis the "measure of the ignorance of the states of all individual particles" (<-- something I've read about entropie) increases.
• freezing of water
- I say decreased. but only because i know that when Ice melts the entropy of the water in the ice increases (as stated by Rudolf Clausius - 1862)
• sorting entries of a database
- again I'm only guessing here but I think it decreases, as I've heard entropy being a "measure of disorder" and so sorting entries of a database would decrease the disorder.
• H3CN2CH3(g) → H3CCH3(g) + N2(g)
The last one leaves me completely clueless...
Thanks to everyone who takes their time to help me with this problem.