Chemistry Forums for Students > High School Chemistry Forum

polymer and enzyme filtration

(1/3) > >>

NiccUnamebro:
Hello fellow chemistry lovers!

I had a few questions and was hoping you guys would have an answer. My first question is as follows: I am trying to calculate the amount of monomer units from cellulose. Lets say I have 250 grams of cellulose, how many monomer units would that be? I know that one cellulose monomer is (C6H10O5)n with μ = 162,1406 g/mol however I could not think of a way to calculate the amount of monomer units.

My second question was a way to filter out enzymes. Cellulase to be exact. At one point I have a substrate with cellulase enzymes in it, but I have to distillate the substrate which means I will lose my cellulase enzymes due to denaturation. Does anyone know a, relative 'easy', way to filter these enzymes out so that they could be re-used later on?

Thank you in advance!

Borek:
With known mass and molar mass you can calculate number of moles, no? And what is a mole?

Babcock_Hall:
What substrate are you trying to distill?  There are many ways to separate an enzyme from its substrates, but it depends on the specifics of the situation.

NiccUnamebro:

--- Quote from: Borek on June 28, 2020, 09:34:15 AM ---With known mass and molar mass you can calculate number of moles, no? And what is a mole?

--- End quote ---

Oh, thank you! I realized that I can multiply the amount of moles with the constant of Avogadro and that would equal my monomer units right?

NiccUnamebro:

--- Quote from: Babcock_Hall on June 28, 2020, 10:37:29 AM ---What substrate are you trying to distill?  There are many ways to separate an enzyme from its substrates, but it depends on the specifics of the situation.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reaction! The substrate mainly contains ethanol, the enzymes, citric acid, citrate, cellulose, glucose and brewers yeast.

Edit: The pH is about 5,0 and temperature is 37 Celsius (optimum for enzymes)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version