March 28, 2024, 10:18:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry behind Permanent Hardness of water??  (Read 954 times)

Offline swagONLI

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry behind Permanent Hardness of water??
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:59:26 PM »
Hiii guys, im doing a lab experiment by myself for school and I had a question, so initially, I was looking at the effect of temperature on the temporary hardness of water, but my teacher suggested doing permanent hardness as temporary hardness had already been done before and she didn't want me to get into trouble plagiarism and whatnot so ANYWAYS my theory for the initial investigation was equilibrium, so I was explaining the temporary hardness of water using Le Chatelier's principle:

"Hardness of water is caused due to the equilibrium of mineral ions.
CO32+(aq) + H3O + (aq) ⇌ HCO3- (aq) + H2O(l)
HCO3- (aq) + H3O + (aq) ⇌ CO2(g) + 2H2O(l)

Using Le Chatelier’s principle, on increasing the temperature equilibrium would shift to the right, thus removing more carbonate and bicarbonate ions from the solution."

Bu the thing is, temporary hardness can be removed easily due to boiling and so Le Chatelier's principle can easily be used to explain this phenomenon. However, the same theory isn't fit to explain permanent hardness of water as the sulfate and chloride ions present in permanent hard water can only be removed through the use of chemicals. SO even if you boil it, the equilibrium is not disrupted, but it SHOULD be, right? So this theory wouldn't correctly explain permanent hardness, or hardness at all? Can someone explain the science behind permanent hardness to me bc I need to explain it in my investigation :-[

Im sorry if u understood nothing in this post Im rly bad at explaining AHHHH

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Chemistry behind Permanent Hardness of water??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 04:19:53 PM »
Permanent hardness has nothing to do with the carbonic acid presence.

Reread what the water hardness really is.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline swagONLI

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Chemistry behind Permanent Hardness of water??
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 02:11:47 PM »
ok king ❤️

Sponsored Links