March 29, 2024, 05:58:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Densified fumed silica cement  (Read 1835 times)

Offline RIKRIK

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Densified fumed silica cement
« on: July 24, 2020, 06:53:05 PM »
Hi i  just recently have been experimenting with soral cements. Magnesium oxide mixed with magnesium chloride.

I have been experimenting with mixing in (97% pure) densified fumed silica D.F.S.

My first test was grounding up MGO with D.F.S. then adding a concentrated magnesium chloride solution. Test piece came out quite strong after 10 hours curing. But after 24hours. I could snap the 7inch by 1inch bar with my hands using reasonable force.

I then decided to mix 1part water with 1 part magnesium chloride. Then add one part D.F.S granules not blended. Theres some fizzing. I am wondering if anyone can explain what the fizzing is. Gave it a good stur.

I decanted the solution from the D.F.S . Added it to the MGO . Then added the remaining decanted solution plus some water to the cement. I have noticed a much harder cement. So currently making a 12 inch by 2 inch beam to test.

I am wondering what would be your ideas on why the material is much stronger.

I have thought maybe because i havnt blended the D.S.F into a powder . So my cement might have both large and smaller particals in. Or that the Magnesium cloride has coated the D.S.F causing better adhesion.

Or that the fizzing is causing a effect i dont understand.

I would love to know you fort on what could be happening.

Kind regards,
Rick

Sponsored Links