Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

Dissolving Calcite

(1/2) > >>

SteveE:
Hello Everyone

Years ago I was a gold nugget prospector in Arizona and Nevada. I found a lot of gold back in those days.

I still have a gold in Calcite specimen I'd like to extract the gold from since the spot price is so high.

It's a 3 ounce Calcite specimen containing 1 ounce of gold. Could someone please tell me how much HCL  acid it would require to dissolve the remaining 2 ounces of Calcite? I don't want to buy any more acid than I need to.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

SteveE:
Also, I would be using 37% HCL acid which is readily available in hardware stores.

Borek:
I strongly doubt you will be able to buy just enough acid, most bottles I have ever seen contain several times more than you need.

AWK:
If it is actually calcite, then about 15 ml of 4-5% vinegar per gram of calcite will suffice.

SteveE:

--- Quote from: AWK on August 03, 2020, 10:06:23 AM ---If it is actually calcite, then about 15 ml of 4-5% vinegar per gram of calcite will suffice.

--- End quote ---

I tried dissolving it in vinegar but takes too long. That's why I wanted to know how much 37% hydrochloric acid it would take. Should work faster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version