March 28, 2024, 03:06:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Very curious as to what this is.  (Read 2237 times)

xaiiax

Very curious as to what this is.
« on: August 09, 2020, 02:42:41 AM »
I had received a picture that I used a chem sketch app to draw in this structure and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what exactly it might be.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Very curious as to what this is.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 03:35:15 AM »
This question apparently makes rounds around internet since yesterday, from what I understand someone made circles in the field and people are looking for a hidden chemical meaning. Sigh.

Yes, there are molecules that could be drawn this way. None of them in any way more interesting than thousands of other molecules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 04:03:03 AM »
It may be a specific projection of the carbon backbone of this hydrocarbon onto the plane. Projections often blur many important details of the chemical structure.
AWK

xaiiax

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 04:15:23 AM »
This question apparently makes rounds around internet since yesterday, from what I understand someone made circles in the field and people are looking for a hidden chemical meaning. Sigh.

Yes, there are molecules that could be drawn this way. None of them in any way more interesting than thousands of other molecules.

I have no clue what you are talking about. Do you know anything about this?

xaiiax

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 04:17:01 AM »
It may be a specific projection of the carbon backbone of this hydrocarbon onto the plane. Projections often blur many important details of the chemical structure.

Thank you for serious input, I will study this further.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 09:07:23 AM »

Hard to "know" anything, I just saw the picture. Yes, it looks a bit 'chemical', but you can assume dots to be whatever you want - carbon atoms, nitrogen atoms, any combination of them, map for a trivial case of travelling salesman problem, power grid schematics or any other graph. You can also use it to build any conspiracy theory. It won't change fact it is just a nice, random, meaningless shape.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

xaiiax

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 11:37:46 PM »

Hard to "know" anything, I just saw the picture. Yes, it looks a bit 'chemical', but you can assume dots to be whatever you want - carbon atoms, nitrogen atoms, any combination of them, map for a trivial case of traveling salesman problem, power grid schematics or any other graph. You can also use it to build any conspiracy theory. It won't change fact it is just a nice, random, meaningless shape.

Why are you so quick to dismiss any sign of questioning or curious nature. I personally don't like your responses and am perfectly fine getting them from anyone else but you.

First of all, You're wrong. I've spent the last two days on chem sketching apps and not everything can sit in a trigonal planar with triple bonds and be stable let alone have three attached linear triple bond.

The closest I got was with silicon and that form is not stable it requires structure.

So I suggest if you reply to my post you take me seriously because I am not here to please your trolling nature.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 03:09:57 AM »
I've spent the last two days on chem sketching apps and not everything can sit in a trigonal planar with triple bonds and be stable let alone have three attached linear triple bond.

Broadly speaking it is not possible to depict 3D structure of the molecule on the paper surface and skeletal formulae are not intended to do so, they just show connections between atoms. There are special projections that can help in some simple cases, but they fail for more complicated molecules. Plus, skeletal formulae typically omit hydrogen atoms so technically they are incomplete. Have you taken any of that into account?

You are trying to treat the picture literally, which no chemist will do. The only chemically valid answer to your questions is "it can be any of hundreds, if not thousands, molecules, none of them in any way more interesting than all the other ones". Then, there is no reason to limit the answers to chemistry.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 12:15:19 PM »
I personally don't like your responses and am perfectly fine getting them from anyone else but you.

Other forum members are happy to get responses from Borek. But if a response isn't in the direction you had hoped, you can ignore it. You only waste an opportunity to think differently.

Sponsored Links