Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

How much H2O I need to dissolve of NaOH in basic hydrolysis of esters?

(1/2) > >>

lukas.stib:
Hello chemists,

I have several esters of carbox. acids at home and I want to test the basic hydrolysis of esters with NaOH. I can calculate the stoichiometry of reactants and products, the problem is I don't know how much water is used to dissolve NaOH? Is there any principle how much water to use or does it not matter?

Thanks, Lukáš S.

AWK:
Check solubility of NaOH in water.
But your problem is rather to get a homogeneous mixture or emulsion to carry out the hydrolysis reactions relatively quickly.

lukas.stib:
OK, thank you. I always use a slight excess of NaOH. It doesn't have to be very fast, I always reflux for an hour.

lukas.stib:
Solubility in water is 1000 g / l 25°C. So, for example, if I have to use 30 g of NaOH in stoichiometry, I will I dissolve it in any amount? Or 30 g H2O?

For homogeneous mixture or emulsion I can used excess water.

AWK:
The hydrolysis of esters from NaOH is practically quantitative and is not disturbed by alcohol. Methanol and ethanol dissolve NaOH quite well. So if you are hydrolyzing methyl or ethyl esters, it is better to use NaOH solutions in alcohol. In this way, you will obtain insoluble sodium salts of acids and you have solved the problem of homogeneity of the solution during the reaction. Always vigorous stirring speeds up the reaction.
A pretty good approximation is 1g NaOH per 1ml of water, 5ml methanol, or 10ml ethanol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version