April 23, 2024, 03:50:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Heat Formation Calculation  (Read 798 times)

Offline hilsenna

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Heat Formation Calculation
« on: August 19, 2020, 03:37:25 AM »
Hi,

I solved the "a" part of the problem by 22,4 L* 2 moles of oxygen. On the other hand, I could not solve the part "b", I do not understand how we are going to use sublimation of graphite and bonding energy of hydrogen here? Dont we need to know the bonding energy between oxygen, and C-O, and O-H?

By the way answer is 75 kj/mol

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Heat Formation Calculation
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 04:11:02 AM »
AWK

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Heat Formation Calculation
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 07:49:46 PM »
You're probably supposed to assume that sublimation breaks the bonds from solid graphite.

It's an old trap from reaction heats: chemical formulas for solids may be written  as "C" or "Fe" but they are full of bonds.

However, gaseous graphite contains varied polyatomic molecules like C2, C3, C4. The composition isn't even known exactly. In that, I disagree strongly with the question. What is needed is the atomisation energy.

----------

I don't like neither a heat of formation estimated from bond energies. You add and subtract quantities like 700kJ/mol to get 75kJ/mol. This can't be accurate.

Deducing a heat for formation from the heat of combustion is less bad. A heat of hydrogenolysis would be better but seems impractical in many cases, and for methane it's excluded by logic.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Sponsored Links