March 28, 2024, 07:44:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What are the units for percent, if no units are actually given?  (Read 831 times)

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
If a solution is given as a percent, with no actual units given, what are the default units? I understand that percent could mean several different things, such as as Mass/Mass, Volume/Volume, or Mass/Volume. If Mass/Volume is used, the units seem arbitrary.

I see percent given on many different real world items, and the units are rarely provided.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: What are the units for percent, if no units are actually given?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »
The percent is a dimensionless quantity.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 12:58:32 PM »
I understand that it's typically a dimensionless quantity, but if the units are mass/volume, is that really dimensionless?
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 01:10:08 PM »
if the units are mass/volume, is that really dimensionless?

m/v% are faulty by design. This is just a way of describing the solution preparation procedure, not a real percentage.

If you want to be nitpicky you can assume their units to be g/mL% (whatever that means).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 02:24:12 PM »
This is a difficult question to answer, although there is a decent discussion in a very old quantitative analysis textbook by Pierce, Haenish, and Sawyer.  Context counts for quite a bit, because various sub-disciplines have conventions that are probably not known by those in other sub-disciplines.

IMO the author should always specify what is being measured and whether an initial or a final volume is meant.  If the author does not, then the experimenter must make an educated guess.  The substances were two liquids, I would assume volume to final volume of solution.  If the substances were a solid and a liquid, I would assume mass to final volume of solution.  You might want to ask yourself whether other assumptions would lead to small or large differences in strength of a solution.

Sponsored Links