April 16, 2024, 10:19:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does anyone have decent knowledge or experience in Diels Alder reactions?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline kbomar

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello,

I am working on a personal project. I am trying to examine the effect of an electric field on Diels Alder Reactions. I am utilizing a molecular dynamics software to do this initially but hope to move to the lab if the simulation output looks promising.

I am looking for a diels alder reaction that is fast and reversible at room temperature. Does anyone know of any? I know these are not typically qualities possessed by this mechanism, but I have found a couple examples that get close.

If you are not sure any that have been study, could you postulate what types of R groups, or other molecular properties of the diene and dienophile pair might facilitate these qualities?

Thanks for any and all help, it is much appreciated. Cheers!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Does anyone have decent knowledge or experience in Diels Alder reactions?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:34:00 PM »
Search literature.
Even Dr. Google has a lot of suggestions for you. Hint: Diels Alder reaction at room temperature.
AWK

Offline kbomar

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »
Hi AWK, thanks for the reply. Dr. Google and I are acquainted and I am certainly searching the literature. My searches were a little too specific, perhaps. To clarify though, when I said room temperature reversible I meant that I am look for a set of reactants that not only undergo a diels alder reaction at RT but that their product also undergoes a retro diels alder reaction at RT. Essentially I am looking for a diels alder equilibrium with a reaction constant in the range of 1000 to 0.001 at RT and I need it to be relatively fast.

Through my search I have yet to find one discussing a room temperature reversible reaction that is also fast as I have stipulated. I pose this question not as my only method of information generation, but as an augmentation. I am asking on the off chance anyone here has had experience with a reaction like this directly. I don't want to offend anyone by coming off as not having done some background search myself.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 06:54:27 PM »
Furan and maleimide go at RT and reverse diels alder at a reasonable higher temp like 100C.

Offline kbomar

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 09:25:47 PM »
Wildfyr, thank you for the information! I am looking further into that reaction now. Maybe there is a slightly substituted version of this pair that would hit the sweet spot, this pair is certainly close.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 01:18:08 AM »
I'm proud enough of this one to accept a paper acknowledgement or something :)

Offline kbomar

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »
Would you like the nobel prize sent to your home or office?   ;D

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 01:46:31 PM »
Office, my coworkers should see it

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +528/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 01:59:36 PM »
Plus that way he can put it next to the others.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 04:24:00 PM »
I would read into activation volumes etc. Interesting stuff in regards to transition state theory. See high pressure DA reactions...

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/1970/tf/tf9706602579?casa_token=W6DWTKiyxB8AAAAA:uJEZas_f7L1VAOEm8PHFiG80lTrKUyFNtCMgNISLrjYldSEuK3Id8NynqVXa5H6ZwnNMUlBpug_uIa0[/url]

Hello,

I am working on a personal project. I am trying to examine the effect of an electric field on Diels Alder Reactions. I am utilizing a molecular dynamics software to do this initially but hope to move to the lab if the simulation output looks promising.

I am looking for a diels alder reaction that is fast and reversible at room temperature. Does anyone know of any? I know these are not typically qualities possessed by this mechanism, but I have found a couple examples that get close.

If you are not sure any that have been study, could you postulate what types of R groups, or other molecular properties of the diene and dienophile pair might facilitate these qualities?

Thanks for any and all help, it is much appreciated. Cheers!

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 06:27:37 PM »
Cyclopentadiene. Direct at RT, reverse needs heat.

Sponsored Links