What possible structures can you draw that have the 3 different groups above?
- In the NMR if the peak at ~8 is 2H from Ar-H and the peak at 7.4 is also 2H from Ar-H what do you think the peak at 7.6 might be?
- Also in the NMR what group might give a single peak at ~2.6 that integrates as 3H?
- Yes in the IR you have correctly spotted the carbonyl peak.
How can you tell those apart and determine which material you have?
1. is it the remaining H that is also connected to the benzene ring
2. i figured out that the single peak would a methyl group i think?
3. i thought about it and the only one structure that could match up with both spectra is c6h5c(o)ch3. i thought it was a 4-methyl benzaldehyde but there was no signal at 10ppm
its a ketone rather than an aldehyde?