April 25, 2024, 08:35:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Azeotrope : distillation doubt  (Read 719 times)

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Azeotrope : distillation doubt
« on: September 17, 2020, 05:31:20 AM »
Hi!

I have a doubt I hope you can solve it
This is my azeotrope diagram :

Now if I suppose to heat a solution of  A and B with concentration C till I reach the left low-end liquid curve I'll get a phase-equilibrium :

In fact I have my liquid solution of A and B with X1 concentration. And  very little vapor  formed with V1concentration.

Now  I know what happens at that vapor: there will be some cycle of condensation and evaporation till it wil reach the azeotropic point

My  doubt concerns about what happens at  the liquid phase X1  :  after the vapor V1 formation the liquid phase X1 is poorer of the A compound (the more volatile one)

So  its  concentration shouldn't be the same "c"!?!?! ...but should be shifted little bit to the left of the low-end liquid curve as I've shown through  those red  arrows

Mu conclusion:

1)So looking at the graph it means that in order to continue distillation of the remaining solution I've to gradually increase the temperature . 
2) the distillation residue (of the starting liquid solutuon) is a  liquid pure in B while the distillation  product is the azeotrope?

Is this correct??
Thanks a lot!! :)

Sponsored Links