March 28, 2024, 04:23:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Converting chemical names to equations  (Read 1664 times)

Offline ash freywar

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Converting chemical names to equations
« on: September 17, 2020, 08:31:32 PM »
Hello, I'm in a grade 12 chemistry course and our teacher has given us a worksheet that requires us to convert the names of chemicals to equations. I found them pretty easy up until the last one, which read "ammonium monohydrogen hypothioantimonite octahydrate". Is this even a real chemical, or is our chemistry teacher trying to troll us? Our teacher doesn't usually play practical jokes on us, and I want to finish this so that he doesn't consider the work incomplete, so how would you approach this? Thanks for your help !

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Converting chemical names to equations
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 12:42:21 AM »
The prefix hypo- has not been used in nomenclature for a long time. It remained only in common names: hypophosphorous acid and hypophosphites.
Based on information from Wikipedia, one can, by analogy, try to write a formula for this hypothetical compound.
But I do not approve of such methods of learning chemical nomenclature, unless someone wants to become a chemistry historian.
AWK

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 02:35:49 AM »
The name Ammonium hydrogen hypoantimonite is wrong. Analog to hypophosphorous acid H3PO2 the one with antimon and sulfur should be easily drawn. But only one H is possible to substitute to a cation. So the given hydrogen prefix makes no sense.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 02:42:39 AM »
Analog to Ammoniumhydrogenhypophosphite NH4H2PO3- a molecule with antiomon ans sulfur can be build.
Phosphorous acid H3PO3 was never named with the prefix hypo-.
AWK

Offline chenbeier

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 02:45:08 AM »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 02:50:10 AM »
H3PO2 is monoprotic hence such a compound ammoniumhydrogenhypophosphite cannot exist.
AWK

Offline chenbeier

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 02:59:55 AM »
That is what I am saying above. You answered to fast, before I corrected my first post.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 03:02:33 AM »
Please,
do not change your posts after you have commented on them. That's why I used "quote".
AWK

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 03:44:04 AM »
That is what I am saying above. You answered to fast, before I corrected my first post.
Mistakes happen to everyone. Sometimes they result from haste, sometimes from over-trusting one's memory and sometimes from not understanding the problem. Forum code should prevent correcting errors after commenting them. After all, you can inform that some information previously provided was inaccurate. Thus, twice in this thread your reply or correction appeared before my subsequent comment. Is this the right way to discuss the Forum?
AWK

Offline chenbeier

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
Sorry it was some overlapping,  I correct my answers very often, because of typing errors, wrong answer by myself and others, normally there should be a warning if one post is in correction to others, I resieve it sometimes.  I never correct it if I read somebody's answer already. Yours appeared after I corrected, Internet, software or what else problem. So your last post doesn't depend to me. I discuss in right way.

Sponsored Links