Chemistry Forums for Students > Undergraduate General Chemistry Forum

Miscellaneous Questions on electronic orbitals

<< < (2/3) > >>

Corribus:
All very well and good, Enthalpy. The problem is that most chemistry students aren't up to understanding differential equations. Yet QM is so central to modern chemistry that it must be taught in some rudimentary form. What's the resolution?

Enthalpy:

--- Quote from: Corribus on September 22, 2020, 10:01:53 AM ---[...] most chemistry students aren't up to understanding differential equations. Yet QM [...] must be taught in some rudimentary form [...]
--- End quote ---

Oops, I hadn't expected that one. So true! For electrical engineering, QM can wait a few years since only semiconductors need it. For chemistry it can't.

Then, explaining and telling stories without maths, yes. I have absolutely nothing about such an approach, since I did much so with electronics as a teen. Qualitative understanding can be more detailed and creative.

If I had to give such explanations, I'd try to rely heavily on recent experiments. Some give nice pictures (atomic force microscope) that stabilize the understanding. Others filter out good interpretations of wave functions from dead ones.

Building on solid knowledge for waves (acoustics, radio, optics) helps a lot, but maybe undergraduates don't have learned this.

PicturesOfLilly:
Thank, but I think that big long post of yours, either confused me more, or went over my head.

--- Quote from: Enthalpy on September 21, 2020, 03:12:27 PM ---Don't spend time on this video, it contains many misconceptions that will disturb you when learning further.

--- End quote ---

But the second video I posted make more sense I think. Could you do me a favour, and answer question 6 by any chance? It compare a contradiction in the two videos I posted. At least that way I might be able to understand properly, the areas within which electrons (of certain E levels) are found, even if I don't understand how they move.

Borek:

--- Quote from: PicturesOfLilly on September 25, 2020, 09:16:18 AM ---Could you do me a favour, and answer question 6 by any chance? It compare a contradiction in the two videos I posted.
--- End quote ---

In this particular moment first video tells bulls&$# about the shape of the orbitals. Best advice we can give you is: forget you ever saw that.

PicturesOfLilly:

--- Quote from: Borek on September 25, 2020, 09:55:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: PicturesOfLilly on September 25, 2020, 09:16:18 AM ---Could you do me a favour, and answer question 6 by any chance? It compare a contradiction in the two videos I posted.
--- End quote ---

Best advice we can give you is: forget you ever saw that.

--- End quote ---
And then what? Keep asking you questions as you get off on my misery?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version