March 28, 2024, 11:56:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mixtures of Ammonium nitrate and Calcium nitrate: Explosion hazard?  (Read 962 times)

Offline nasentier

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello,

i want to prepare a dry mixture of calcium nitrate and ammonium nitrate for a fertilizer used in hydroponic systems.

On several pages / books i read about incompatibility of both nitrate salts, and about Calcium nitrate incompatibility with ammonium salts. For the mixture of NH4NO3 and Ca(NO3)2, even explosion hazard is mentioned. Unfortunately, not in even a single case, an explanation or at least a reference is provided. I searched a little bit and only found a hint in a patent, where the addition of calcium nitrate increases efficiency of ammonium nitrate based explosives which additionally contains hydrocarbons.

But I also saw products and patents with NH4NO3 / Ca(NO3)2 double salts using for fertilizing purposes, which seem a little bit contradictory when they are actually not compatible.

I would appreciate any information in that matter so I can get in knowledge about the manufacturing safety and product stability.

Kind regards!

Sponsored Links