Chemistry Forums for Students > Undergraduate General Chemistry Forum

Combusting metallic magnesium

(1/3) > >>

finndingnemo:
"After combusting 1,321 g of metallic magnesium, 2,107 g of solid was formed. What was the mass percentage of magnesium nitride in the product mixture? Submit your response in mass percents with one decimal, without typing the unit."

I really am confused of all that is being asked, sorry.

AWK:
When you burn magnesium in the air, not only magnesium oxide is formed, but also magnesium nitride, and you get a mixture of both. If only magnesium oxide was formed, its weight would be 2.19 g.

chenbeier:
First of all, you should do some work by yourself.

1. Which elements (gases) mainly in the air?
2. What reaction take place if you burn something?
3. In the case of Magnesium which products are formed, develop the equation for that.
4. Develop a combinded equation containing x and y of the elements.

Corribus:

--- Quote from: AWK on September 27, 2020, 11:41:16 AM ---When you burn magnesium in the air, not only magnesium oxide is formed, but also magnesium nitride, and you get a mixture of both.
--- End quote ---
Do you?

finndingnemo:

--- Quote from: chenbeier on September 27, 2020, 11:42:42 AM ---First of all, you should do some work by yourself.

1. Which elements (gases) mainly in the air?
2. What reaction take place if you burn something?
3. In the case of Magnesium which products are formed, develop the equation for that.
4. Develop a combinded equation containing x and y of the elements.

--- End quote ---

I mean, I understand that I am burning Mg and that I have N and O also reacting there. On the other side I have Mg3N2 and MnO as the outcomes. But my calculations about the weight make no sense. Thank you for replying, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version