March 29, 2024, 05:00:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ammonia generation in standard pression  (Read 1823 times)

Offline alone6288

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ammonia generation in standard pression
« on: September 30, 2020, 10:54:30 PM »
Hi everyone, i am doing a research for amonnia production in standard pression and lower temperature than 100°C.
Before i researched i thought that a atmosphere without oxygen with nitrogen and hidrogen will make amonnia using cold plasma produced for corona efect or DBD that it will be lower than 100°C. i thought will work because it have a good Kc and i will use the le chatelier principles to maximize the equilibrium and i think that the ionization of gas will create reactive species strongly charged, maximizing the velocity. but i have question? what would be the velocity, thinking that the termodinamic equilibrium is different than the equilibrium formed by ions in the cold plasma? Will i make 700ml or more of amonnia GAS with this in 1 day  considering that the reactor is filled up with 1l of nitrogen/hidrogen gas in Stoichiometry proportion without use the le chetelier Qc displacement?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Ammonia generation in standard pression
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 05:32:31 PM »
Hi alone6288,

your plasma will be very far from any equilibrium, so rules for equilibria like Le Chatelier and Kc don't apply.

At identical pressure and temperature, 1L of N2 and H2 mixture can't make 0.7L of NH3, because the product has twice as many atoms per mole.

My intuition, and nothing more, tells that a plasma favours small molecules, so extracting the NH3 as soon as it's produced seems necessary.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 03:49:59 AM »
Assuming the reaction goes to completion (it won't): if mixing gases in equimolar proportions after the reaction you would be left with 0.67 of the initial volume.

Doesn't mean it will be ammonia.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline alone6288

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 10:46:54 PM »
Hi alone6288,

your plasma will be very far from any equilibrium, so rules for equilibria like Le Chatelier and Kc don't apply.

At identical pressure and temperature, 1L of N2 and H2 mixture can't make 0.7L of NH3, because the product has twice as many atoms per mole.

My intuition, and nothing more, tells that a plasma favours small molecules, so extracting the NH3 as soon as it's produced seems necessary.
Hi entalphy.
if the reaction isnt in equilibrium, then if I put a catalyst that improve yield of ammonia, will this improve the yield of the other gases too? and i realized that you not consider the Stoichiometry of the gas mix that i ask, but no problem

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:09:48 PM »
Data about plasma plus catalyst? I wouldn't have thought at that. Normally, catalysts serve where the mean available energy is much smaller than some reaction barrier. With a plasma, energy is available at some particles, much more concentrated than an energy barrier needs.

My gut feeling again: no computational nor paper prediction is possible for a reaction with a plasma. Either you find a description by someone who tried, or you try by yourself.

Sponsored Links