March 28, 2024, 07:15:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question plastic and salt  (Read 2519 times)

Offline gamemaniaco

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Question plastic and salt
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 09:02:31 AM »

If the salt is not cleaned from the surface of the plastic, does it dry out the plastic?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 09:38:15 AM »
If the salt is not cleaned from the surface of the plastic, does it dry out the plastic?

No, it doesn't "dry out" the plastic, whatever it is intended to mean. It can probably speed up the degradation, especially in a humid air. Still, it depends on what kind of a plastic is used, there are many and they have quite different properties.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline gamemaniaco

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
I read that UV light and heat dry out and weaken plastics so I thought, does salt deposited on the plastics surface cause this same problem?

I read that UV and heat modify the chemistry of plastics but the salt I don't know

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 11:35:25 AM »
Generally, no, salts have no effect on common polymers used in everyday products.

But for the sake of your knowledge, you cannot speak of "plastics" as a monolith... or salts for that matter. There are exceptions to everything, and specific information is needed to make specific conclusions and predictions. Without knowing what your products are made from, or what salts we are dealing with, a certain answer is not possible.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline gamemaniaco

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »
I do not know what type of plastic is used in the manufacture of Tazos, I researched but did not find

Offline gamemaniaco

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 09:05:38 PM »
???

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
gamemaniaco, I'm not sure what else you expect from us. We've told you that most likely salt will not damage polymers used in commercial products, but without knowing the exact polymer or the salt it can't be stated with certainty. We can't invent information we don't have.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline gamemaniaco

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 12:51:22 PM »
If in the air there is any Sodium hypochlorite or muriatic acid vapor will this vapor settle in plastic pieces and dry out plastic piece?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2020, 06:48:34 PM »
That's enough. You registered several times at this forum, each time asking similar questions and NEVER listening to answers.

See for example https://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=101982

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links