March 28, 2024, 03:29:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can someone help me figure out what the noble gas configurations for zirconium a  (Read 1000 times)

Offline anon7048

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am currently working on noble gas configurations in chemistry and I am having a hard time understanding why I got two questions wrong on a practice.

The instructions for the practice are here:

Write out the noble gas configuration for the element. Enter your answer with all values without any spaces, hyper scripts or subscripts

Example: S- (These are meant to be in exponential format) [Ne]3s23p4 --> [Ne]3s23p4

My questions are:

Write the noble gas configuration for Zr:

Write the noble gas configuration for Ho:

My answers were:

[Kr]5s24p64d2

[Xe]6s25p64f11

I am still getting the answers wrong. Where did I go wrong in my configurations?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Try to count electrons and compare the number you get with atomic numbers of elements in question.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline anon7048

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
So the atomic number for Zr is 40 and the atomic number for Ho is 67. My electrons for Zr add up to 10 and my electrons for Ho add up to 19 right now. I'm still doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
[Kr] is just a shorthand for the Kr electron configuration.  How many electrons in Kr? Xe?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
I am currently working on noble gas configurations in chemistry and I am having a hard time understanding why I got two questions wrong on a practice.

The instructions for the practice are here:

Write out the noble gas configuration for the element. Enter your answer with all values without any spaces, hyper scripts or subscripts

Example: S- (These are meant to be in exponential format) [Ne]3s23p4 --> [Ne]3s23p4

My questions are:

Write the noble gas configuration for Zr:

Write the noble gas configuration for Ho:

My answers were:

[Kr]5s24p64d2

[Xe]6s25p64f11

I am still getting the answers wrong. Where did I go wrong in my configurations?

You wrote to much p- Electrons.

Look up the total configuration of Krypton and Xenon.

Sponsored Links