March 28, 2024, 08:26:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Single replacement reaction for Magnesium using Calcium.  (Read 611 times)

Offline Magnesium_Fire

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Single replacement reaction for Magnesium using Calcium.
« on: October 20, 2020, 03:42:27 PM »
Hello!

In my high school, I am in a program called Science Research and Design where I can conduct my own research experiment throughout the year. For my study, I chose to test a Bismuth extraction from Pepto-Bismol procedure by using it to extract Magnesium from Doan’s tablets. My procedure worked well to get up to a solution of Magnesium chloride (by putting the tablets in 2M HCl and filtering out salicylic acid), but when I added calcium for a single replacement reaction, I seemed to have overlooked the fact that Calcium would prefer to create calcium hydroxide. With bismuth, it’s as easy as adding aluminum, but now I am stuck with what to do for Magnesium.

How can I extract Magnesium from an aqueous solution of Magnesium Chloride? Is there an easier way than electrolysis? Thanks for the *delete me*

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Single replacement reaction for Magnesium using Calcium.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 04:01:01 PM »
Magnesium is not possible to extract from aquaeous solution. Its only possible by electrolysis of molten magnesium chloride or by reducing of magnesium oxide with ferrosilicon( Pidgeon process).

Sponsored Links