April 25, 2024, 07:30:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Adenosine Solution *Storage*  (Read 751 times)

Offline whitecoatblackhat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Adenosine Solution *Storage*
« on: October 25, 2020, 11:57:15 PM »
Hello fellow chemists!

I was wondering if anyone knows or has some ideas regarding how to store an adenosine + water solution?

I'm talking about pure adenosine (not AMP, ADP or ATP) just pure adenosine powder mixed with water.

I know that the adenosine powder itself must be stored between 2-8°C temp. But what if that powder is mixed with water?

Also, hot water greatly increases the solubility of adenosine. So, if I use hot water to dissolve the adenosine powder that will inadvertently raise its temperature.

My goal is to create a 1% adenosine solution and store it for 30 days without it degrading.

Finally, would adding things like ethanol, propylene glycol, benzyl alcohol, salicylic acid, glycerin, sorbic acid preserve the solution and keep it from degrading?

Any input would be helpful and greatly appreciated!!  :) :)

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Adenosine Solution *Storage*
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 06:07:53 AM »
Nucleosides are very stable, I think you should make a solution and see over time if it degrades, you can use HPLC or TLC (EtOAc7MeOH2H2O1).

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
One issue is microbial growth.  To avoid this problem, I would filter sterilize the solution and store in a sterilized vessel of some sort.  Adding a certain percentage of ethanol might be an alternative.

If I were preparing it for a series of future experiments, I would divide the solution into aliquots.  Ideally, these would be one-use portions.

Offline whitecoatblackhat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 02:17:21 AM »
Thanks for both of your answers!

Really valuable stuff! I appreciate it!

I also spoke directly with the lab that I buy these compounds from. And regarding my adenosine+water solution storage/shelf-life query, this was their reply:

"Many thanks for your e-mail.
An adenosine solution has to be stored frozen (-20°C). I do not know about the stability but it should be stable for at least the 4 weeks.
With best regards.
Norbert"

Inferring from that, it seems very impractical to try and compound this solution.

I really need it to stay in liquid form.

Another option would be to divide it into aliquots as you advised, or compound it and use it immediately after that to avoid the issue of storing it.

Also, regarding microbial growth.

I mentioned in my initial post that I will most likely use a 1:1:1:1 mixture of benzyl alcohol, salicylic acid, glycerin, sorbic acid, also known as Preservative Eco, which is a very effective broad-spectrum preservative and will definitely keep the solution from spoiling for ~4 weeks (especially if kept in the fridge).

Cheers!

Sponsored Links