March 28, 2024, 04:49:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What concentration of sodium hydroxide is relatively safe?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline tms9918

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What concentration of sodium hydroxide is relatively safe?
« on: October 27, 2020, 11:51:57 PM »
What is the maximum concentration of sodium hydroxide you would suggest a newbie to buy?
Of course I will use gloves (are nitrile ones ok?), but what concentration do you think is reasonable to manage relatively safely if you avoid to do stupid things (licking it, dipping the finger inside on purpose, etc) and the only risk is due to a possible accidental spill?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: What concentration of sodium hydroxide is relatively safe?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 02:24:10 AM »
What about a pure solid that you use to create your own solutions?

Offline tms9918

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 06:13:03 AM »
I cannot find it solid. I found 0.1 mol/L and 1mol/L at about the same price, so I'd go for the second one if it is not that dangerous

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 11:45:43 AM »
Sodium hydroxide solutions may feel slick when they contact the skin.  If you feel this, rinse copiously with tap water.  I would wear gloves (as you indicated), and I would also wear goggles.  If you were to buy solid sodium hydroxide pellets, you would need to weigh it out quickly, inasmuch as it readily picks up water from the atmosphere.

Offline tms9918

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 12:01:56 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions. It's way easier to buy the solution though. Do you have any suggestions on whether to get  a 0.1 mol/L or 1mol/L solution?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 09:25:26 AM »
Choosing what concentration of a chemical to buy should be determined by the technical need, not by how sloppy you can be with it. You shouldn't be sloppy with any chemical. If your application needs 1 M, buy 1 M. If it only needs 0.1 M, buy 0.1 M. You can also buy a more concentrated solution and dilute it depending on your skill with dilutions, the amount you need, and your budget. You haven't told us what you're trying to do with sodium hydroxide, so this is why you're not getting recommendations. Nobody here is going to tell you it's fine to be careless with the more concentrated solution.

If you are going to be handling more concentrated caustic solutions, buy a good pair of thick rubber gloves. Don't use surgical gloves or nitrile gloves. And wear safety goggles, and have white vinegar or something on hand for neutralization. These are all available cheap at any hardware store.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline tms9918

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 12:41:58 AM »
Thank you Corribus.
I intend to use it to clean some oxidized screws. I want to remove zinc hydroxide without affecting chromium oxide, and here on the forum I was suggested  by user chenbeier to use  sodium hydroxide.

Sponsored Links