April 24, 2024, 10:07:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: College Question: Forensic Chemistry Degree Grades  (Read 6181 times)

Offline mb85

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
  • I'm a mole!
College Question: Forensic Chemistry Degree Grades
« on: August 15, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »
Hello everyone.

As of right now, my cum gpa is a 3.16. However, i recently found out that my gpa within my forensic chemistry major is a 2.75. I was actually suprised to see that and now im rather nervous about the future. btw, i am a junior.

My question is... How much does your gpa affect potential job oppurtunities? I realize that for graduate school most want a 3.00 or 3.33 + gpa.

The reason for my low gpa within my major is from my calculus 1 and 2 grades. (C- and C+ @ 4 credits each can butcher anyones gpa).
However, i feel like my core chemistry grades are rather good.

Gen. Chem 1 - C (i will blame the terrible teacher, who has since retired. thank goodness.)
Gen. Lab - A-
Gen chem 2 - A (transfer credits, so doesnt apply towards gpa.)
Gen. Bio - B
Organic 1 - B+
Organic 2 - B
Analytical Chem - B+
Anal. Lab - A-
Physics 1 - B-
Microbiology - A- (transfer credits, so doesnt apply towards gpa)

I mean i dont think those are horrible grades. I worked my ass off to get those and will continue to. But i feel like my gpa is making it seem like i have done nothing.

I think i just need some reassurance or enlightenment into the significance of gpas and that my grades are acceptable for my major currently. Im taking P-chem in the fall and at this point, i need a mental boost.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
Re: College Question: Forensic Chemistry Degree Grades
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 08:00:41 AM »
My two cents:

In my experience, the most important factors affecting getting and keeping a job (industry or academic) are:

1.  Where you went to school
2.  Social ability
3.  Grades
4.  Standardized test performance

If your 2.75 GPA is from Princeton University, it is probably safe to say that you will get hired somewhere rather easily.  If your 2.75 GPA is from Alabama State, then it will take a lot more "door knocking" to get a job opportunity. 

The "social ability" aspect should not be overlooked.  I was rather unsociable and arrogant in my college years and through disrespectful actions I ended any capability of me getting a university position.  Thus, I had to move to plan B and then C and then finally about plan F worked and now I make lots of money.  In retrospect, and based upon other peoples ease of getting jobs, networking through your professor and maintaining a personable and respectful relationship with him/her will allow you to overcome almost any issue related to your GPA (as long as it doesn't go any lower) with regard to getting into graduate school or getting a job.

Sponsored Links