April 19, 2024, 12:16:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: a deviation in answer  (Read 1366 times)

Offline chimia12

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
a deviation in answer
« on: November 13, 2020, 11:53:49 AM »
Hi,
Why do I get a 5 meter deviation? I have this question in some variations and always get devetion of some meters. sometimes 10-20. Dont know if I did this right.

This is what I did:
https://ibb.co/h2tgVn1

The question: (The The right answer is 10170.03.)
Nitrogen molecule, N, the largest average kinetic energy in a tabulora of 224 Kelvin, is released from the Earth from above. If the molecule could
Move to do up without colliding with other molecules, at what height would it reach a state of rest? Give an answer in meters.
(Hint: A molecule at rest has a potential energy equal to mgh, when m is the mass of the molecule in kilograms, g=9.81 ,h is the height above the earth to which the molecule will reach in units of meters.)

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: a deviation in answer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 12:27:12 PM »
I suspect the answer is "significant figures". You quote an answer to 7 s.f., but most of the data you use have rather fewer s.f., e.g. the MW of N2 is quoted as 28. g and kB are only quoted to 3 s.f. Try using more precise vales.

Offline chimia12

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: a deviation in answer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 03:19:42 AM »
I suspect the answer is "significant figures". You quote an answer to 7 s.f., but most of the data you use have rather fewer s.f., e.g. the MW of N2 is quoted as 28. g and kB are only quoted to 3 s.f. Try using more precise vales.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links