April 20, 2024, 01:16:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What type of rxn?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Technix540

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What type of rxn?
« on: October 30, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »
Need to know exact mechanism and absolute stereochemistry? This is a beta-gamma unsaturated ketone and we haven't discussed them in class at all. I might be a little tired in the head (exam coming up), but this can't simply be a protonation of the double bond, followed by a nucleophilic attack on the formed carbocation could it? Does anybody have any tips on what type of reaction this is?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:14:07 PM by Technix540 »

Offline Technix540

Re: What type of rxn?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 05:42:07 AM »
Need to know exact mechanism and absolute stereochemistry? This is a beta-gamma unsaturated ketone and we haven't discussed them in class at all. I might be a little tired in the head (exam coming up), but this can't simply be a protonation of the double bond, followed by a nucleophilic attack on the formed carbocation could it? Does anybody have any tips on what type of reaction this is?

Perhaps the base deprotonates the thiol thus increasing its nucleophilicity. The gamma-position is attacked by the thiol since the delta-position is blocked due to sterics which would arise from the two isopropyl groups. Stereochemistry, since the top face is hindered by the isopropyl group (wedged line) the attack could be made from the bottom face (dashed line)?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 08:18:48 AM »
5-Isopropyl-2-cyclohex-3-en-1-one is easily isomerized into 5-isopropyl-2-cyclohexen-1-one in both basic and acidic conditions. Michael's addition of thiol will rather proceed with a more stable isomer. The reaction product will be the same and the reaction is unlikely to be stereospecific as both compounds are almost flat.
AWK

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 09:46:04 AM »
Under basic conditions there is not likely to be a protonation of the double bond.

Offline Technix540

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »
5-Isopropyl-2-cyclohex-3-en-1-one is easily isomerized into 5-isopropyl-2-cyclohexen-1-one in both basic and acidic conditions. Michael's addition of thiol will rather proceed with a more stable isomer. The reaction product will be the same and the reaction is unlikely to be stereospecific as both compounds are almost flat.

I see, that makes sense, thank you AWK. My issue is I am not familiar with the isomerization (mechanistic pathway) of the gamma-beta unsaturation to the beta-alfa unsaturation?

Offline Technix540

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
How about this?

Sponsored Links