March 28, 2024, 02:59:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I need help finding YouTube videos for a particular chemistry topic!  (Read 1125 times)

Offline michaelchgh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi all, I'm currently taking quantitative analysis (QA) for my undergrad. In the last week we've dived into a topic that I have trouble finding YouTube videos for. Honestly I'm not even confident of what to look up as what the topic is even about is iffy to me.

Below I posted a picture of a slide from my lecture that hopefully gives a good view of what we're going over. GEA stands for "General Equilibrium Approach". It deals with solubility and a ton of different ions that affect it [solubility]. What is this topic? Any helpful YouTube videos? Anything helps. If you need more information just ask. I know/love chemistry, just hit a rough patch. Thank you!

https://ibb.co/gW7C1ny

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: I need help finding YouTube videos for a particular chemistry topic!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 02:51:01 AM »
GEA stands for "General Equilibrium Approach". It deals with solubility and a ton of different ions that affect it [solubility].

It doesn't deal with the solubility, it is much more powerful: it allows to calculate equilibrium state of EVERY solution, be it acid/base, solubility, complexation or any combination of these.

Actually every other approach to any equilibrium problem is an approximation based on simplifying assumptions, GEA treats every possible side reaction as if it was an important part of the system.

So, broadly speaking, the subject is just equilibrium. General case of every equilibrium calculation is always the same. System is described by set of equations: mass balances, charge balance, and equlibria for all substances present in the solution. You solve it - and you know what are equilibrium concentrations of all ions and substances. Once full set of equations is obeyed there is no need to separately think of dissociation or hydrolysis, protonation or complexation, dissolving or precipitation - all these are taken into account.

This is never trivial to calculate, which is why we go for simplifying assumptions.

Sorry, no idea about YT videos.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline michaelchgh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: I need help finding YouTube videos for a particular chemistry topic!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 09:24:56 AM »
I see. Do you know of any resources on the internet I could use to help better learn/understand it? Everything I look up doesn't deal with precisely this type of chemistry.

Sponsored Links