March 28, 2024, 02:52:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A little titration curve question - That I cant answer!  (Read 645 times)

Offline Chcklr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A little titration curve question - That I cant answer!
« on: November 03, 2020, 05:45:44 AM »
Attached is an image of the question. It is a question from a British A-Level paper, (High school equivalent). I have tried the question twice, and seeked help from a friend who studies chemistry, I am still unsure.

I am not sure if in part a, the equivalence point will still be when 1 mol of base is added. We are not given the volume of acid used. I am also unsure of whether the 'halfway' point of the titration would have the same pH. In part b, I am happy with the calculations needed, but again I am not sure if the graph would show the equivalence point when 1 mol of base is added.

The question refers to some data in "Table 12.1" The relevant data is that the pH of a 0.0001M solution of Ethanoic Acid is 4.2

Edit: Sorry the image is repeated twice, it is the same image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:55:32 AM by Borek »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: A little titration curve question - That I cant answer!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 09:57:32 AM »
Does the book say anything about how the data in the table 12.1 were collected?

You are right that there is no way to answer the question as it is worded without additional information.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Chcklr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: A little titration curve question - That I cant answer!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 11:00:06 AM »
There is no other data unfortunately :(

I ended up drawing the curve pretty much identically but with the starting pH changed. I kept the same equivalence point value and halfway value. Not too sure what they are looking for but it will have to do.

Thanks for looking at it.

Sponsored Links