March 28, 2024, 10:03:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesizing magnetite  (Read 3454 times)

Offline gatewood

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesizing magnetite
« on: November 04, 2020, 02:21:45 AM »
I've become interested in being able to make magnets from scratch (without electricity), and turned to iron and iron oxides (such as hematite) to try and turn them into magnetite.

Anyone knows if there's a way to do that? Or how feasible is it?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Synthesizing magnetite
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 03:21:09 AM »

Offline gatewood

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
What are your thoughts

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

I'm not asking that you solve the thing for me, just for general thoughts (ppl in forums tend to give better advice and insights than google does).

Personally, the best and easiest thing I've found, is to use magnetotactic bacteria, which you probably haven't even heard of.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:54:36 PM by gatewood »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 11:49:05 PM »
... (without electricity) ...

Use another magnet???

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 06:24:28 AM »
Personally, the best and easiest thing I've found, is to use magnetotactic bacteria, which you probably haven't even heard of.
Where did you read that this is a practical discovery, and not just an interesting theoretically?
AWK

Offline gatewood

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 08:14:15 PM »
... (without electricity) ...

Use another magnet???
Is that how members are supposed to be treated in this forum? People come here to try and discuss intellectual matters... expected a lot more from self-styled professionals.

A magnet won't make another, permanent magnet (without complicated processes) and I want to be able to make them from scratch.

This is one plain simple answer I got from another forum:

"The process is called sintering.

https://www.shinetsu-rare-earth-magnet.jp/e/design/words/sintered_m.html "

I mean, how hard is that?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:36:58 PM by gatewood »

Offline gatewood

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »
Where did you read that this is a practical discovery, and not just an interesting theoretically?
Ive made tiny magnets that way in the lab, just make a culture with some iron oxide and they'll slowly convert it into magnetite (well im not entirely sure if its magnetite or the iron crystals are just aligned), though it takes some time, but its a very hands off process.

However, its very problematic to kill them and remove the organic material.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:50:53 PM by gatewood »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 01:28:54 AM »
@gatewood
Based on your post history it appears you have not read the forum rules.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.

We typically give hints or suggestions for answers so that you can learn by doing further research.
It is a teaching method widely accepted

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 01:53:15 AM »
This does not seem expensive or complicated

From a GOOGLE

https://www.simply.science/images/content/physics/Electricity_magnetism/Magnetism/Concept_map/Making_Magnet.html

Single Touch Method: This is the simplest and also the most convenient method to make a small magnet that does not have a very big field of attraction. All you need is a ferromagnetic object and a permanent magnet.
Place a paper on a flat surface and place the ferromagnetic object on it. Then rub the permanent magnet over the surface of the object. Make sure to rub in one direction only. It is also necessary to lift the magnet from the surface of the object, after every swipe or run. Then swipe it again, in the same motion as before and continue rubbing the magnet over the object at least 50 times. If the process of swiping the permanent magnet over the ferromagnetic object has been done correctly, then the pins will get attracted towards your magnet and will stick to it.
The more times you rub the permanent magnet over your ferromagnetic object, the more powerful your temporary magnet will become.
DOUBLE TOUCH METHOD
Double Touch Method: This method is very similar to the first method. Here, two permanent magnets are taken to magnetize the ferromagnetic material, operating in opposite directions.

Offline gatewood

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 04:31:05 PM »
@gatewood
Based on your post history it appears you have not read the forum rules.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.

We typically give hints or suggestions for answers so that you can learn by doing further research.
It is a teaching method widely accepted

I'll concede that my posts may sound like I'm just dumping the workload unto others, but that's not the case at all (oftentimes I provide my own knowledge that I'm not in the dark about things), and I'll try to be clearer next time.

The thing is, hours can be spent in unfruitful searches around the internet, and, in many cases, it and many people will make it seem as if you've hit a dead end, and I've found that, by asking around, that is just not the case. That's what I'm looking for, to be pointed where I can start, to get around theoretical and procedural limits, that's it, I'll do the rest (share what you ppl may).

And about your last post, I'm looking for permanent magnets, sorry for not being clear about that (thought that mentioning magnetite and electricity might have sufficed).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 05:01:42 PM by gatewood »

Sponsored Links