April 18, 2024, 11:15:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Breaking tie between two substituents with CIP priorities  (Read 590 times)

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Breaking tie between two substituents with CIP priorities
« on: November 07, 2020, 06:54:32 PM »
My question is specifically to break the tie between an ethynyl group and a specific connectivity of cyclopentadienyl group where the chiral center is bonded to one of the sp2 carbons. I attached a picture of my analysis, which I am unsure about.

I do not know which one is higher priority. Specifically, it seems like I can go out in two directions on the ring. If I continue along the "winning" side of the ring, then the cyclopentadienyl group is higher priority than the ethynyl group because "something" should beat "nothing. If I go in the "losing direction" on the ring, then the alkyne would be higher priority. I don't know the logic of which direction I should be going.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Sponsored Links