Hello. I hope I’m in the right place here. My apologies ahead of time if I’m not. I’m no scientist! Just a really worried mom.
You see, I have an old harmonica from the 70s or 80s that my child was playing with. She’s 2. I was doing some reading online about the materials used to make this instrument.
I came across a website by Tamara Rubin, who used a XRF instrument to see if there were any heavy metals in some of these similar harmonicas.
She found the edges to contain about 450 ppm mercury and 150 ppm arsenic.
This seems extremely high.
My child would put this instrument in her mouth for a few seconds here and there, and would carry it around.
How does this work? Can the mercury and arsenic leach into her body when she puts it in her mouth or even carries it?
I feel like I’ve poisoned my child. I’m very confused. As I have said, I’m not chemist or scientist, but that much mercury?
Am I worried for nothing and getting this all wrong? Help???!