April 24, 2024, 06:21:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NHS esters  (Read 6471 times)

Offline tksubbu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NHS esters
« on: August 07, 2006, 10:02:12 PM »
Can anyone suggest a good procedure for synthesizing NHS esters of Amino acids wherein the alpha-amine is a secondary amine conjugated to a dye?

subbu

Offline russellm72

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +10/-7
Re: NHS esters
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 03:36:37 AM »
What kind of Dye do you have? Cy Dye, Rhodamine derivative???

R.

Offline tksubbu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:28:02 PM »
I basically have tamra through a 5-(6-) amide linkage and another with nitrobenzodioxazole through a secondary amine linkage with the alpha animo group.

subbu

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:42:27 PM »
I've done some labeling of proteins with NHS esters of fluorescein.  Basically, I carry out the reaction in 100mM potassium phosphate buffer, pH 7.0 (this allows the dye to react selectively with the N-terminal amine group, if you don't have to worry about reacting with side chain amines, you can carry the reaction out at pH 8.2 or 8.5, just remember to use a buffer like borate that does not contain amines).

I exchange my protein into the labeling buffer by either dialysis or using a desalting column and, dissolve the dye in DMF or DMSO (do this right before adding it to the protein solution) add enough dye solution to get a 5:1 molar ratio of dye:protein.  I let the reaction run for about an hour at 37o (don't forget to use dark tubes so that the dye doesn't photobleach).

The instructions say to quench the reacting by adding 1M tris, but I just run the mixture through a desalting column to remove the excess dye.

Offline GSK

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 06:46:37 PM »
I have a problem isolating the NHS ester of 5-hydroxy compound; it really wants to lactonize anytime DCC is added (it would also happen if the NHS ester could be formed). Would the use of a buffer help? I have no success in organic solvents, and my compound is very acid sensitive.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:31:31 AM »
If you need to prevent acidification of your reaction mixture, then you should probably use a buffer (but, is acid formed during the reaction in the first place?  If not, then you won't need a buffer).  I use a buffer for my labeling reactions because the substrate is a protein which is extremely pH sensitive and will denature at the wrong pH or ionic strength.

Offline GSK

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 05:23:53 PM »
the only reason i was thinking buffer is because I want to avoid lactonization, which seems to be rapid in organic solvents even at 5C. I could make the NHS ester in a buffered solution and then do the subsequent protein conjugation all in one pot.

Sponsored Links