March 28, 2024, 06:12:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chromatography  (Read 1025 times)

Offline John55

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chromatography
« on: November 29, 2020, 08:05:53 AM »
hi ,
i'm desperate,could anyone help me please?

We use an analytical column to optimize the separation and then carry out a preparative separation of two substances. We have a 10 cm long preparative HPLC column with 40 separation steps per cm and an analytical column (also 10 cm) with 400 separation steps per cm. Both columns are packed with the same separating material and therefore have the same retention factors for the two components of our two-component mixture. For the preparative separation, the resolution must be at least 2. To what value do we have to optimize the resolution with the analytical column so that we can then transfer the separation to the preparative column?

Offline MOTOBALL

• Mole Snacks: +50/-5
Re: Chromatography
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
The forum rules are that you must show some attempt at solving the problem, before we can help you.
Hence lack of response to your question.
Suggest that you write down the basic formulas of chromatographic resolution, and go from there.

Good Luck!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Chromatography
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 01:33:45 AM »
Here's a quick web page I found that will help you compare the two parameters: https://www.pharmaguideline.com/2011/09/resolution-factor-telling-factor.html

I would run a trial run, an analytical quantity on the prep scale column, before committing to large scale.  You should see the results conform pretty close to theoretical, if you're not overloading the column.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links