April 26, 2024, 06:27:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I have only 3 months to get ready for Organic Chemistry class in the college  (Read 927 times)

Offline yami

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello everyone,
I just got admitted to Veterinary Medicine program in the Philippines.
There are only two chemistry courses in the whole program as Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry.
Considering that I have not studied chemistry in the past 20 years since high school (and it’s not my favorite either), I’m trying to do my best to get prepared for Organic Chemistry class in Spring 2021. (Biochemistry class on Fall 2021 tho)
I already have below textbooks but I can buy any other ones if really necessary. Please advise me where to start and how to study. Please note that I am unemployed, so I have tons of time until classes begin.

Thank you all

1- General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry: Structure of Life by Timberlake

2- Organic Chemistry by Klein

3- General Chemistry by Ebbing and Gammon

4- Chemistry: A Molecular Approach by Tro

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
You have not mentioned biochemistry, and I would probably tackle this subject after organic chemistry.  Before reading a biochemistry textbook, I might read a book such as PDQ Biochemistry or an equivalent book, in order to get a general feel for the important topics. 

Offline yami

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
You have not mentioned biochemistry, and I would probably tackle this subject after organic chemistry.  Before reading a biochemistry textbook, I might read a book such as PDQ Biochemistry or an equivalent book, in order to get a general feel for the important topics.

Thanks for the comment.
As I mentioned, Biochemistry class will be in Fall 2021, so I will have summer time to get prepared.
For now my challenge is how and where to start from scratch and proceed my self study for the next three months, to be ready for Organic Chemistry 1 class.

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
I'm in Ochem 1 and it's easy. Just read your textbook material and if something is confusing you, cross-check it with Klein's.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
You could apply the same idea to organic chemistry by reading "Get Ready For Organic Chemistry" by Joel Karty.

Sponsored Links